The podcast is a very interesting tool for your strategy. It is a format that, in addition to being different, can offer you many advantages.
Today, there are so many types of formats that it is difficult to control them all and know how we can get the most out of our digital marketing strategy. So we will see one of them, the podcast.
What is a podcast?
A podcast is basically a periodical digital audio publication, although we can also find video, which can be downloaded from the Internet. A key characteristic of this format is that it is episodic and usually has the basis of a specific theme.
The word comes from iPod, the gadget with which they became popular, and broadcast, which means “broadcast content.”
The advantages that we can find, in general, are:
- It can be heard whenever you want
- These are downloadable
- Ability to subscribe to a podcast and therefore receive updates.
- It is fast and easy to produce.
But the biggest advantage we found is that audio is the safest and most comfortable format that can be consumed, without it being a dangerous distraction.
How to create a podcast?
- The first thing you should do is get to know your audience. Learn what your podcast listeners are like. In this way, you will know what kind of language you will need, the tone…
- You must be clear about the topic to be discussed. And with it, the structure and duration of the podcast. This will help you get organized and not chaos. So the second step will be to make a script.
- The third step, and closely linked to the second, would be to integrate it into your digital marketing strategy. This means that it must be coherent, talk about topics that you are dealing with on platforms and in other types of content.
- Once all this is clear, all that remains is to record it with a microphone. Obviously, the better the sound system, the better the finish. If you get good equipment, you can get a professional finish.
- Once recorded, the last step will be to edit it with an audio editing program, such as Audacity, to give it the last touch before sharing it with the followers.
How can podcast used in a company’s digital marketing strategy?
First of all, it is interesting to know that the advantages of creating podcasts for a company are:
- A text can be cold, but podcasts give you a voice to the words and bring listeners closer to the company.
- It positions you as an expert on the subject being covered in the podcast, much faster than other content formats.
- With them, you engage. As it entertain, you will be able to improve the relationship with customers and get new ones. It is an effective way to build community and build loyalty. You also get listeners to subscribe and listen to the podcasts that the company is uploading.
- It is a format that does not hinder, they decide when to consume it and where. It is not invasive.
- It is economical since, as we saw before, you only need a sound system and a tool to edit it.
- There is less competition. There are not many companies that podcast for their consumers, not like the blogs and YouTube channels, there are thousands.
- It is becoming more and more fashionable, it is a trend. It is not yet very widespread, but it is a format with a lot of potential.
- Create brand identity. This type of content helps brand branding and your followers remember you for this same reason. In addition, if you make quality content, you will become a benchmark. You will get your listeners to trust you.
As we have already seen, podcasts have many different advantages. So the best way to include them in a digital marketing strategy is to take advantage of those features.
Types of Podcasts
- As complementary information. That the podcast is an interesting addition to other content, that is, it contributes new information, not repeating what has already been written.
- For special content. In this way we will have the best content in different formats and will therefore reach a different type of audience.
- Use the podcast as a way to answer questions that followers want to ask.
- A podcast with the collaboration of experts, influencers or KOL (Key Opinion Leader) will give more strength and multiply the quality of the topic being discussed and, therefore, followers will be more interested in listening to it.
How can we promote podcast?
There are different ways to do it:
- You can create groups in which you unite people with the same tastes and the same interests. This will benefit you since you will know that those who are there have an interest in the topic that you develop in the podcast.
- You can use social media to share podcasts. Taking advantage of social networks you can spread the content. In these media we can find an inconvenience and is that users consume it quickly, they practically do not stop even 5 seconds in an application unless they receive something in return. So make sure they know that if they listen to the podcast, they will get something. For example, a very fashionable format is Instagram Stories.
- If you create expectation for your listeners, interest will increase. Let your subscribers and unsubscribe listeners so that day, at that time, they can enjoy content that they may be very interested in listening to.
- Using this format is fine, but you have to upload them to some platform where subscribers can consume any of them whenever. Some of them are: Spotify, Apple, Libsyn… Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages, so you must choose the one that best suits your content, target audience, needs, objectives…
Podcasts may be a little-known format but after what we have seen in this post you have to be convinced that the effort of learning how to do podcasts… pays off.